New Frontiers Programme
We actively recruit all year round for all programmes running two cycles per year.
- Phase One programmes generally run in January & June.
- Phase Two programmes generally run in May & September:
Please contact David Mc Donnell (New Frontiers Programme Manager) with any queries regarding The New Frontiers Programme
We offer the New Frontiers Programme in association with The LINC at IT Blanchardstown
Next Programme Phase 1 – Commencing 22nd Jan 2018 facilitated by IT Tallaght
Closing date for this programme is 10th Jan 2018.
Programmes are always oversubscribed so we recommend contacting the New Frontiers Programme Manager in advance to get guidance on the most appropriate program and the information required to submit a strong application
Phase Two Programme – commencing May 2018 – applications will open February 19th 2018.
What is New Frontiers?
New Frontiers is Ireland’s national entrepreneur development programme, funded by Enterprise Ireland. In South County Dublin it is delivered by the Synergy Centre at IT Tallaght, Dublin 24. The programme is a collaboration between IT Tallaght and IT Blanchardstown to support entrepreneurs in Dublin and neighbouring counties.
If you have an innovative business idea and are planning to establish and run your own company, the New Frontiers Entrepreneur Development Programme can provide you with a package of supports to help accelerate your business development and to equip you with the skills and contacts that you need to successfully start and grow your company.
What does it offer entrepreneurs?
- Initial training in validating & testing your business idea (Phase 1).
- Training in all areas of business, including market research & validation, business process, financial management, patenting, product development, sales & marketing, HR & recruitment, and business planning.
- Peer-group learning from participants in the region and across the country.
- Mentoring from experienced business advisers and practitioners.
- Hot desk/office and other business incubation facilities.
- €15,000 scholarship to cover full-time participation for the six month Phase 2.
- Networking with other entrepreneurs and business development agencies.
- Introductions to seed and early stage capital investment networks.
- Access to entrepreneurship best practice, both national and international.
- Access to the Enterprise Ireland Market Research Centre.
- Access to Amazon Accelerate package & Microsoft BizSpark programme.
- Access to academic & technical expertise from IT Tallaght & ITB, and the supportive environment of their incubation centres.
Launched in February 2012, the New Frontiers Entrepreneur Development Programme aims to support the creation of over 100 high-value added, innovation & knowledge based, Irish owned businesses each year.
Who is it for?
The New Frontiers Entrepreneur Development Programme is targeted at entrepreneurs and early stage start-up companies located across Ireland. The programme is open to applications from a diversity of sectors including; information & communication technology, online & ecommerce, engineering & electronics, medical devices, biotechnology, pharma, digital media, cleantech/renewable energy, food & consumer products, and other eligible internationally traded services. Ideally applicants have the following characteristics;
- You intend to establish a new manufacturing or internationally traded services business OR a new domestically based business with the potential to trade internationally.
- You are ambitious and have the capability and commitment needed to develop a sustainable business.
- You are growth orientated – planning to achieve turnover greater than €500,000 pa and create at least ten jobs within three to five years time.
- You can develop a business that is built upon a strong foundation of innovation and/or technology.
- You can show evidence of a viable commercial market for your proposed product or service.
What will you bring?
New Frontiers is not for everyone. It is a challenging, demanding process that requires a lot of the entrepreneur. You will need to have
- An innovative business idea, ideally with a technology or knowledge basis
- Some understanding of the market place within which the business will operate
- Some basic business skills and acumen, which could come from a previous business/start up or from general work experience
- A strong commitment to doing what it takes to bring that idea to the market
- A willingness to learn and develop within the programme, and continuously afterwards
- An ability to contribute to and take support from other entrepreneurs, and engage with the range of people on the programme
New Frontiers is a phased programme that is designed to provide a progressive and integrated set of business development supports to entrepreneurs.
Phase 1 -Testing the Business Idea
The first phase will be part-time over a 6-8 week period and will help you to analyse and validate the market potential of your business idea. It consists of a series of workshops which will provide information and general start-up training, allowing you to tease out your idea’s feasibility and to see whether a viable business proposition exists.
At the end of this process, you should be able to make the Business Case for your idea, as a potential applicant for Phase 2, but more importantly – to yourself. Is it worth your while to commit the time, effort and resources necessary to progress the idea to a viable business?
This is a competitive formal application process. Places are limited, and we receive more applications than places. These workshops are run on a rotating basis between the IT Tallaght & ITB campuses.
- Part-time Evening Workshops
- Researching and Validating Market
- Developing Business Case
- Go/No Go Decision
Phase 2 – Business Planning
Following a separate competitive selection process, entrepreneurs
- who have a strong, documented value proposition, and
- who can show the necessary commitment & energy, and
- who can demonstrate that their business idea has the potential to grow & create jobs
may be offered a place on Phase 2. Places are limited, and we receive more applications than places.
If successful, you will receive intensive support for six months to develop both your own skills and to work on your business proposition. This will entail full-time participation in workshops, mentoring, networking opportunities and regular reviews. Using these supports, you will fully detail and validate your business proposition and identify potential customers, sales channels and funding options.
You must be available for full-time participation in this challenging programme. To facilitate this, you will receive up to €15,000 in funding over the six month period, subject to satisfactory performance and ongoing reviews. You will be able to base yourself in the Incubation Centre, and access all the supports and expertise available there.
The aim of this phase is to support you in progressing your proposition to an investment-ready, market-ready business, with a fully developed business plan and pitch to investors.
- 6 months full-time
- Intensive training and workshops
- €15,000 EI fund
- Hot Desk, Web Hosting and Software supports
- Extensive Mentoring
- Peer Learning and Networking
- Investor Ready Pitch & Business Plan
Phase 3 – Business Development & Ongoing Support
Businesses emerging from Phase 2 will be guided to the most relevant supports that can best help them at their particular stage of development. These may include business development agencies (including EI & CEB), funding sources, product/service development supports and other relevant options. Further incubation facilities and support may be available to participants for a limited period, in conjunction with ongoing support from the Incubation Centre team.
- Bringing product or service to market
- Procuring investment, due diligence
- Achieving key targets:
How do I apply?
Interested applicants should make contact, for an informal discussion or further information, with
- David McDonnell – New Frontiers Programme Manager
- Synergy Centre, IT Tallaght, Dublin 24
- Phone : 01.4042025
- Email : email@example.com
You can also download an application form from our dedicated website at www.newfrontiersprogramme.com
Information about us and the programmes nationally on enterprise Ireland run website www.newfrontiers.ie
If you believe that you are capable of building a sustainable new business, that has the potential to create employment, generate significant revenue and trade internationally, while based in your locality, act now and apply for a place on Ireland’s largest entrepreneur development programme.